Some quick observations about the joys of sobriety…
1. I don’t like dry social events, even though I’m sober. When alcohol flows like water, everyone lets their hair down. Everyone looks like they’re having as good a time as me!
2. People who’ve got alcohol under control can still have an infinitely better time – for the rest of their lives – without it.
3. I get social ‘hangovers’: mental tiredness and a headache after socialising all evening. I absolutely love it!
I still love waking early and feeling so alive.
4. My treat is pudding and coffee (with double cream in both). It’s still very special 4.5 years after quitting alcohol.
5. I love going out for meals and choosing my desert from the menu before the main course.
6.I love the way in which coffee and breakfast gives me energy these days – the exact opposite to their effect when hungover.
7.I’ll always remember the sense of achievement that AA meetings gave me.
8.I never worry how little sleep I get on the occasional night when I lie awake. I can function on empty, now I’m sober. [Mostly I sleep really soundly].
9. If you’re forever organising your life around alcohol, it’s amazing how liberating it feels to be free of its grip.
10. I drink alcohol-free lager sometimes – partly because I like the taste – but mainly because I love being able to have, and only ever want, just one.